If you are interested in becoming a vendor please contact Bonnie Hopkins at 334-9496. All vendors need to complete the 2019 Vendor Application. Applications are available on the SJC Extension Website here: 2019 Vendor Packet

All vendors must complete the training before being approved to sell in 2019.

Join our vendor emailing list by subscribing below:

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Want to become a Vendor???
The Farmington Growers' Market welcomes vendors selling produce grown within 100 miles of our city, handmade crafts, and locally raised meats and eggs, and ready-to-eat foods. Mid-level marketing sales or advertisements are not allowed in the market. There is no re-selling of any item at the market. All items must be hand made or grown by the vendor. All items that are not considered to be fresh produce must go through the board approval process. Call 505-334-9496 to get a copy of the Board Approval Form.

Vendor FAQs
****2019 packet AVAILABLE ****
Download here: 2019 Vendor Packet and Application

How much does a booth space cost?
One space on Saturday $15.00
One space on Tuesday $10.00

Double space on Saturday $30.00
Double space on Tuesday $20

A Saturdays Only prepaid season space for $175.00 which will cover all Saturday markets held.
A prepaid season space will be $225.00 which will cover all Saturday & Tuesday markets held this season.

A prepaid season double space for Saturdays & Tuesdays $425.00
A prepaid season double space for Saturdays Only $350.00
A prepaid season double space on Saturday and single space on Tuesday is $375.

How large is a booth space?
Booth spaces will measure 12' X 12' (twelve feet square) with parking space for one (1) vehicle behind each space. Vendors desiring a double space with parking behind will be restricted to a few available choices with parking for one (1) vehicle behind per space. Trailers and roasters will be considered as exceptions by the manager's discretion. Tables, tents and chairs are the responsibility of each vendor, they are not provided.

What time do I need to be at the market to set up?
For the safety and consideration of other vendors and customers, all vendors must be parked in their market manager assigned spaces at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the market (7:30 on Saturdays and 3:30 on Tuesdays). Vendors that arrive after 7:30/3:30 are not guaranteed a space, at the manager's discretion. After 8:00/4:00 NO vehicles will be allowed to enter the market space.

Can I hand out samples of my products?
Yes, however vendors must maintain a clean food preparation environment including an approved handwashing station, sanitation solution, clean utensils, and cutting boards.

Here are some sampling tips from NMFMA your customers safe:
1. Set up a clean preparation area: First clean the area of the table you will be using: use soap and water, and then wipe with a mild bleach solution (1 teaspoon bleach per gallon of water). Or you can use a clean tablecloth.
2. Hand washing: Hands must be washed after smoking, eating, drinking, using the restroom, or any time contamination occurs. Proper hand washing: wet hands with clean warm water; apply soap and work into a lather; rub hands together for 20 seconds; clean under the nails and between the fingers; rinse under clean, running water; dry hands with a disposable paper towel.
3. Cutting/Preparing samples: Produce used for samples, except for fragile items like berries, must be washed with cool water. Thick-skinned products should be scrubbed with a clean vegetable brush. This removes nearly all insects, dirt, bacteria and other materials that can contaminate the interior of the produce once it is cut.
  • If washed produce is not immediately cut for samples, store it in a clean container to prevent re-soiling of the exterior surface prior to cutting.
  • Cut samples held without cooling must be disposed of after four hours. Alternatively they can be held on ice or in a cool ice chest at 41 F.
  • Cut samples should be covered or protected if flies are present, the area is dusty or weather conditions are such that the samples could become contaminated.
Grills should be heat-sanitized at market. Meat for samples must be maintained at below 41F. Cooked meat samples must be kept hot on the grill until being offered to customers. These guidelines apply to vendors who are meat producers authorized by the New Mexico Livestock Board and other pertinent regulatory agencies.

Cheese for samples, as well as the prepared samples, should be kept cold (for example by placing on cold packs.)

4. Knives & Utensils: Use clean and sanitized knives, utensils and cutting boards for cutting produce. These items must be brought to market in a clean, sanitized container, and used only for four hours at market.

To clean and sanitize utensils and cutting boards:
  • Wash with soapy water; rinse with clean water; sanitize by placing items in 75F water (room temperature) that has in it one tablespoon of regular chlorine bleach per gallon of water, for one minute; and air dry. This can be easily accomplished using a 3-tub or bucket system (one with soapy warm water, one with clean water, and one with bleach water.) Select tubs that are large enough to submerge your cutting boards.
  • Markets can set up a central utensil sanitizing station for the use of vendors, or individual vendors can set up their own.

5. Serving Samples: Use single service items to distribute samples to customers. Examples are paper plates, cups, napkins, plastic utensils, wooden sticks or toothpicks. The customer can then dispose of single service items once the product is consumed. Vendors should bring a garbage container for this purpose. Minimize bare hand contact with cut produce by using tongs. If single service gloves are used, change the gloves often to prevent soiled gloves from cross-contaminating samples. Remember to wash hands between changing gloves. Vendors should try to avoid contamination of samples by customers. In order to ensure this, vendors can keep control of the sample plate and offer samples directly to customers. If the plate of samples is to be self-serve, then the plate should be covered, for example with a clear plastic dome.

SNAP (food stamps), WIC, and Senior Programs

These programs provide Women Infant Children (WIC) clients and low-income seniors with vouchers to spend on fresh fruits and vegetables at farmers' markets.

What types of foods can be sold in the program?
Fresh fruits and vegetables that are not processed beyond their natural state (aside from cleaning) are eligible to be sold to both WIC and Senior clients. This means that processed fruits and vegetables such as ristras or dried chile powder are not eligible. Additionally, Senior FMNP checks may be used to purchase raw honey.

How do I become an approved vendor?
Farmers who grow eligible items in the state of New Mexico, or within an 100 miles radius of the Farmington Growers' market if out-of-state, can apply to accept WIC and Senior vouchers at participating New Mexico farmers' markets. Farmers will need to sign an agreement with the Department of Health and be assigned an identification number by the farmers' market manager. Agreements will need to be renewed every three years, but identification numbers are permanent. According to the New Mexico State Plan with the Federal government, there is no reselling of fruits and vegetables through these programs. Email the market manager at manager@farmingtongrowersmarket.com for applications and info or call the San Juan County Extension Office at 505-334-9496 or bhopkins@nmsu.edu

How do I accept the checks?
After getting approval, vendors may accept checks. Clients must sign their checks before spending them, so check for a signature before accepting a check. Vendors are not allowed to give change back on the checks, so if a client is buying something that costs less than the value of the check, offer other items from your table to make up the difference. Keep in mind that the WIC checks (printed in green) can be used to purchase fresh fruits and vegetables only. Senior checks (printed in brown or blue) may be used to purchase fresh fruits and vegetables as well as honey. Make sure that the check is valid for the current year.

How do I cash the checks?
Before an FMNP check can be taken to the bank, you must ensure that it has the following:
  • A signature from the client
  • Your 4-digit identification number clearly written on the space provided
  • A straight and legible Department of Health issued stamp from the market at which you received the check (take your checks to the market manager to get them stamped)

SNAP, also known as EBT, and formerly known as 'food stamps' is a government assistance program to help low-income households pay for food. Though SNAP benefits are contained on a card similar to a debit card, many New Mexico farmers' markets are able to accept SNAP cards through a centralized wireless terminal using their own market currency.

What types of foods can be sold in the program?
SNAP benefits may be used to purchase any food item that is meant to be prepared at home. Examples of eligible items include fruits, vegetables, cheeses, breads, meats, honey, and some processed foods. Foods that are hot and/or meant to be eaten on site such as hot burritos or coffee are not eligible.

Many markets that accept SNAP can also process debit cards so that shoppers who have brought cash to the market can make purchases. Debit tokens come in $5 increments and look different from SNAP tokens. Debit tokens may be used to purchase anything in the market, and change may be given.

How do I become an approved vendor?
Individual markets must apply for a license through Food Nutrition Services (FNS) in order to accept SNAP, but individual vendors do not need to do so. Some markets may require vendors to sign an agreement. Talk to your market manager to learn more about how your market participates in the program.

How do I accept the tokens?
Each market uses their own unique currency in the form of wooden tokens with the individual market name printed on it. Before accepting tokens, make sure that they are for the market that you sell at. The exception to this is in Albuquerque, where all city markets can accept a common currency and Grant County, which also has its own currency for all markets in the county.

Change cannot be given to SNAP customers ($1 tokens printed in red), so customers must spend in whole dollar increments. Debit customers ($5 tokens printed in green) may be given change.

How do I get reimbursed?
Each individual market does reimbursements individually, but in most cases farmers are reimbursed either by cash or check the same day or the following week. Check with your market manager for details.

Permits and Regulations
Fresh Fruits & Vegetables
There is no permit required to sell fresh fruits and vegetables at New Mexico farmers' markets.

Organic Rules - From the NMDA Organic Program

Q: Who can use the word "Organic" to sell their products?
A: Only farmers and gardeners who are certified by a USDA-accredited certifier may legally use the term "certified organic" or "organic" to describe their product. Producers who gross less than $5,000/year are exempt from certification. People who use the term "organic" without being certified are usually just not informed about the requirements, but there have been cases of deliberate fraud. NMDA wants to insure that those who are unaware of the regulations get the information they need and those who are deliberately defrauding consumers are stopped.

Q: If a grower wishes to sell a product as "organic," what should s/he do?
A: Call the New Mexico Department of Agriculture (NMDA) Organic Program at 505-889-9921 or 575-646-0329 to find out how to certify.

For Certified Producers:
The Organic Certificate will list: the farm, the farmer, and the date the certification went into effect. The certificate will bear the seal of an Accredited Certifying Agent (ACA). For a list of ACAs, go to the USDA's National Organic Program.
The Product List will name the products that are certified for sale as "organic" and will give the inclusive dates for which the certification is valid for those products. The certificate without the product list will not tell you if the person is currently certified organic.

Q: Why does it matter?
A. Consumers have been guaranteed by federal law that products sold as "organic" have been produced to specific standards. In many cases consumers have paid a premium for this label, are" voting with their fork" and have the right to get what they pay for. In the case of consumers with chemical sensitivities, mislabeling can threaten the consumer's health. Additionally, certified organic farmers have paid a significant amount of money to get certification and have done a lot of extra work in terms of practices, inspections and record-keeping. It simply isn't fair for producers who have not done the work to pass themselves off as the same as those who have. It's also against the law.

Q: What is the New Mexico Department of Agriculture Organic Program?
A: The New Mexico Department of Agriculture Organic Program provides USDA/NOP-accredited organic certification for farmers, ranchers, and processors/handlers throughout New Mexico. Application and marketing assistance is also available. Visit the NMDA Organic Program website here for more information.

Craft or Value Added items
Find the Value Added or Craft Application here. This form must be completed and filed with all supplemental documents before attending market.
All craft and value added items must go through the board approval process prior to selling at the market. Craft or valeu added items must be handmade agrarian based products (eg. items made from land based items such as clay or wool, or other naturally occurring agricultural product).

We do not allow ANY resale items at the market. Email bhopkins@nmsu.edu to get an application or call 505-334-9496
Board approval process for craft or value added items:
1) Submit a short summary of your business
and goals for selling at the market.
2) Submit sample items or pictures of ALL
products you intend to sell.
3) Obtain a City of Farmington business
4) Complete the vendor application form
5) Value added items must have an approved process from the NMED

Submit all completed documents together to the San Juan County Extension Office by June 1, 2018. The board does not meet regularly during the growing season, so application approvals during the market season are not guaranteed.

Dairy Products
Every facility that produces dairy products in the State of New Mexico must hold a current Grade A Permit issued by NMDA's Milk Inspection Division. Click here for the application form and detailed instructions on how to apply for a Grade A Permit.

For more information, contact NMDA Milk Inspection Division at (575) 841-9425.

Ungraded Eggs
There are no licenses required for selling ungraded eggs in New Mexico farmers' markets, but ungraded egg vendors are required to register with the New Mexico Department of Agriculture. This registration is free of charge and can be done through NMDA's website.

Graded Eggs
To sell graded eggs, vendors must obtain an egg dealer license based on their production size. Licenses range in price from $10 to $50. The application is available here. For questions regarding selling eggs, contact Raymond Johnson with NMDA Standards & Consumer Services at (575) 646-1616 or by email.

Pure honey is defined as a raw agricultural commodity. Therefore, pure honey producers are not required to obtain a food processor permit. Honey producers do, however, come under the NM Food Act, requiring them to label their products and prohibiting adulteration of their products. Honeys with additives such as herbs are, however, subject to food processing regulations, as these additives may change the chemistry of the honey and affect its anti-microbial properties.

For more information, contact the New Mexico Bee Keepers' Association at (505) 869-2369.

Check out the San Juan County Extension website for great information regarding bees and honey production in NM SJC Bees

Meat & Poultry
Meat and poultry producers and processors are regulated by the New Mexico Livestock Board. Meat (beef, pork, lamb, ostrich, emu and other ratites) offered for sale within the state must be slaughtered and processed at a state (or federal) inspected plant. A list of state-inspected plants is available from the Livestock Board. Custom-cutting plants are not inspected, and can only process meat for personal consumption. Meat that is processed in an inspected plant will be packaged and labeled according to state regulations.

Poultry comes under different rules. Producers who raise their own birds, and produce and slaughter fewer than 20,000 birds per year, are exempt from inspection by either the State or the Federal government. They must still be registered, however, with the New Mexico Livestock Board, and meet the guidelines for custom exempt plants. Poultry products should be labeled with the net weight, producer name, product name, and their NM Livestock Board registration number.

Game meat, which includes buffalo, deer and elk, is also exempt from state and federal requirements. The NM Livestock Board offers a voluntary inspection and registration process, which enables producers to comply with the NM Environment Department's rule that meat producers must come from an "approved source."

Meat and poultry producers who sell meat at farmers' markets and who do not cut meat do not need a license from the NM Environment Department, although they are still subject to the Food Act, ensuring that the food is stored and handled safely. As a potentially hazardous food, meat must be kept at 45 degrees F or below. Anybody who cuts meat in any way after it has been processed is regulated as a "meat market" under the Food Service Sanitation regulations.

In addition to selling packaged meat and meat products (either fresh or frozen) at farmers' markets, producers could consider selling or taking orders for live animals. Purchasers can then have the animal processed at a custom plant, or the producer could have it processed as a service to the customer. Such animals must follow Livestock Board rules on proof of ownership and branding.

For more information visit the NM Livestock Board on the web at http://www.nmlbonline.com/ or call (800) 432-6889.

Nursery Stock
The Farmington Grower's Market Board will NO LONGER purchase a blanket nursery license for the market. Nursery stock may need to collect gross reciepts tax, therefore, beginning in 2018 all vendors wishing to sell nursery items MUST have a City of Farmington business license and collect GRT on items sold.

Processed Foods
Growers' markets must ensure that all vendors selling products requiring licenses have obtained and are maintaining those licenses. All processed food items require the collection of gross receipts tax, and vendors must have a City Of Farmington Business license. Market managers and other responsible persons are not expected to be food safety experts, but they can help educate vendors about topics related to food safety and encourage vendors to communicate with the appropriate licensing authorities.

Anyone selling food which is "prepared" in any way, or which is offered for sale in a sealed package, is considered a "food service establishment" or a "food processing establishment," and must be licensed by the New Mexico Environment Department (NMED) and must follow the NM Food Processing and Food Establishment Regulations. The only exceptions to this are "dairy establishments," which are regulated by the New Mexico Department of Agriculture (NMDA) and the "preparation of raw fruits and vegetables for display and sale in a grocery store or similar operation."

For processors of non-potentially hazardous foods:
Non-potentially hazardous foods are those foods that pose little threat of growing bacteria that can cause food-borne illnesses, and may be processed in a home kitchen with a license from the Environment Department. These non-potentially hazardous foods include items such as baked goods, dry mixes, and high-sugar jams and jellies. To receive a permit from the New Mexico Environment Department to process these types of foods in a home kitchen, vendors must attend a food safety class that must be retaken every five years, pay an annual fee of $100, be subject to annual inspections, and follow all food protection rules and regulations as directed by the Environment Department. Holders of a home processing permit may only participate in direct-to-consumer sales, such as through farmers' markets. The application can be found here.


​For processors of all other foods
Producers of all other types of processed foods such as salsas, canned vegetables, and other low-acid and acidified canned foods must use a certified kitchen to produce their goods. In addition, they must receive a processing permit from the New Mexico Environment Department, pay an annual fee of $200, be subject to annual inspections, and follow all Food Service and Food Processing Regulations 7.6.2 NMAC. All ingredients used, with the exception of raw agricultural products, must be from approved sources and changes in ingredients after the permit has been issued need to be reported to NMED. Food processors of these potentially hazardous foods can contact the New Mexico Environment Department office within their county to begin the licensing process or download the application here.

Producers on tribal lands do not come under the jurisdiction of the NM Environment Department, however, if the products are being sold on non-tribal land, vendors will need to register for the State and Tribal Food Safety Program.

Food Service
In addition to a home processor's permit or food processor permit, vendors who serve food to the public to be eaten on-site must obtain a Temporary Food Event Permit as well as a City Of Farmington Business license. These permits and the application can be found here.

Advantages to Food Processors of Selling at Markets:
  • Can get retail versus wholesale price direct from the customer
  • Payment is immediate, no 30 day wait
  • It can be part of an overall marketing strategy.
  • It's a great way to test products as you can get immediate customer feedback.

Tips for Selling Processed Foods at Farmers' Markets:
  • Always sample. Buy products from other vendors to complement your sample - cucumbers for a dip, greens for a dressing, or bread for jams. See if you can be situated next to a product that complements yours.
  • Provide recipes that use your product - e.g. for garlic oil, or goat cheese.
  • As with all farmers' market products, customers are looking for a human connection. Customers are looking for an experience, not just a product, so talk to customers to give them tips and tell them as much as you can about your product and your story.
Getting Started:
  • For information on how to submit a commercial food product for process review, download this information guide from the NMSU Cooperative Extension Service.
  • For information on operating a food business in the state of New Mexico, download the Food Business in New Mexico guide.
New Mexico Farmer's Market Association Website
Find information about Permits and Regulations, Sampling Guidelines, Marketing Tips and other vendor resources.